Uber, Lyft, and taxi services are available from the LAX airport. The Uber/Lyft drop-off nearest to the housing is number '5 Dykstra', according to this map of all the Uber/Lyft Drop-off Locations. Drop-off locations may vary by service; you may also find drop-off spots for DeNeve A&B or Carnesale Commons.
Taxi Services include:
- Yellow Cab Co. where you can book an appointment online or download the app.
- LA Checker Cab Company where you can book an appointment online.
- LA City Cab where you can request a quote or call to book an appointment.
Bus: The green Culver City Bus #6 goes from LAX to Westwood/UCLA and is the most affordable option by far.
- Take LAX Airport Shuttle bus to the LAX City Bus Center (shuttle is free)
- From the LAX City Bus Center, take the Culver City Bus #6 all the way to UCLA ($1.00 each way)
- The bus will take about an hour to get to UCLA.
Shuttle: You may choose to book a SuperShuttle in advance to and from the airport, though this can be the slowest option. (The FlyAway bus has discontinued service to UCLA.)
All UCLA Campus parking lots require parking permits. You can use the Self-Service Pay Stations machine at most lots, or purchase a daily ticket at an Information & Parking Booth. We suggest you use the Westwood Plaza Information & Parking Booth which is open 6AM - 9PM - hours at other booths can be limited. Each option will be $13 per day. For more general information, visit UCLA Visitor Parking.
UCLA campus parking policies are strictly enforced. Read your parking pass carefully and familiarize yourself with the parking spot colors and letters.
Parking options closest to Campus housing and FSCI classrooms (see Campus Parking map):
- There is limited campus parking in Lot PDD (nearest to campus housing).
- You are more likely to find parking in the Sunset Village (PSV) lot, which is a short, mostly flat walk away. Lots P7 and P8 are also a short walk, but you must walk uphill to reach FSCI. All of the lots above have Self-Service Pay Stations.
- Parking passes must be purchased and displayed on the car dashboard and you must park in the correct parking spots.
UCLA Commuter Parking:
- If you already have a parking permit at UCLA, you can get a "Cross Park Permit" to temporarily change your designated parking lot to a spot more convenient to FSCI. This only works for one day, and you must do it each day you wish to change your parking location. Follow these steps:
- Go to the Bruin ePermit Portal and select "Get Permits"
- Log in using your UCLA credentials
- You'll come to a page titled "Purchase a Permit" - click Next
- Look to the second choice to find "Cross Park Permits"
Other UC Faculty and Staff Parking Permit Reciprocity:
- Are you faculty or staff from another UC Campus? The University of California campuses offer reciprocity for faculty and staff parking permits.
- Present your valid parking permit from your home campus to the UCLA Information & Parking booth to obtain a UCLA-specific permit at no charge.
- The permit is valid for up to five consecutive days per quarter.
- Student permits do not have reciprocity.
- Additional information is on the UCLA Faculty and Staff Parking Permit Reciprocity website.
UCLA has electric vehicle charging stations in these parking areas.
Wireless internet access is provided throughout campus.
- We strongly recommend setting up Eduroam from your home institution, as it is the most secure and reliable available wireless network.
UCLA_WEB is an open freely available wireless network on the main campus - it is also very reliable, but does not require a password and is therefore less secure than eduroam.
Need additional help with wireless connectivity? Visit the Student Technology Center, or contact the Covel Business Center (310) 825-3400.
Dining On Campus
For FSCI participants staying in campus housing, all-you-care-to-eat meals at the DeNeve Commons Residential Restaurant are included in the housing fee. The food is quite good with a great variety of choices, including vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and dietician approved options. In addition, kosher meals are available if requested in advance.
The DeNeve Commons Residential Restaurant is open for Breakfast from 7AM-9AM, Lunch is from 11AM-2PM and Dinner will be served starting at 5PM. Only one entry is allowed for each meal.
FSCI participants who are commuting may purchase all-you-care-to-eat meal tickets at the DeNeve front desk for $14.00 breakfast, $17.00 lunch and $18.00 dinner. Menus change daily - take a look at today's menu.
If you'd prefer a different option (not included in the meal plan), there are additional restaurants available on campus, including many options within the Ackerman Student Union building, a ten minute walk from DeNeve and Carnesale.
Additional markets, shops and restaurants are located in Westwood Village, located just south of campus - see Exporing Westwood Village below.
All of the major meal-delivery app based services deliver to the UCLA campus.
- UCLA Campus Information 2019 Brochure - Downloadable PDF
- Safety Information Brochure - Downloadable PDF
- The Covel Commons Business Center (located on Covel Commons 1st floor) services include high-volume black & white and color printing/copying, faxing, and personal computer rental (PC and Mac).
- You'll find many amenities within the Ackerman Student Union, including a U.S. Post Office, a pharmacy, the campus bookstore, ATMs, and much more.
- Please note: UCLA is a completely tobacco-free campus.
Recreational facilities are available to FSCI participants staying in campus housing. Your campus housing key provides access to UCLA's Olympic-quality recreation facilities, including:
- Central Campus Gym – John Wooden Center (a 5 minute walk, but an amazing facility featuring racquetball, squash and basketball courts, a rock climbing wall, and workout facilities.)
- Monday: 5:30am-11:45pm
- Tuesday: 5:30am-11:45pm
- Wednesday: 5:30am-12:00am (Overnight)
- Thursday: 12:00am-11:45pm
- Friday: 5:30am-9:45pm
- Saturday: 8:00am-8:45pm
- Sunday: 8:00am-8:45pm
- Smaller Gym – B-FIT (most convenient from DeNeve housing, in between De Neve Plaza and Carnesale Commons building,)
- Monday-Thursday: 6:00am-1:00am
- Friday: 6:00am-9:30pm
- Saturday: 8:00am-8:00pm
- Sunday: 8:00am-12:00am
- Sunset Canyon Recreation Center (Pools and outdoor activities)
- Facility hours include lawn spaces, volleyball courts, picnic areas, and locker rooms. Pool hours vary from the facility hours. Please see the swim calendar for pool hours.
- Monday-Thursday: 8:00am-9:00pm
- Friday: 8:00am-8:00pm
- Saturday: 8:00am-8:00pm
- Sunday: 8:00am-8:00pm
Bicycle rentals are available through UCLA Recreation, in the John Wooden Center, There are also rentable bikes and scooters found all over campus.
You'll be seeing the famed Powell Library during the Monday evening reception. But you may also want to check out the Charles E. Young Research Library, where you'll find Special Collections and much more. There are many other campus libraries to explore as well.
Westwood village is just south of campus, but it's nearly a mile walk from DeNeve Commons. (If that sounds taxing, you may want to consider an Uber/Lyft or a Taxi to get back and forth.)
You'll also find many great dining options, from fine dining to fast food. Here's a few lists to choose from:
- Thrillist's 20 Essential Restaurants in Westwood
- TimeOut LA's Best restaurants in Westwood
- Yelp's top-rated Westwood Village restaurants
For those who want to gather with other FSCI attendees for cocktails, we highly recommend the Broxton Brewery as a spot to meet up. It offers a full bar besides its excellent selection of craft beers, and has a good menu of above-average pub food, all in a stunning location with indoor and outdoor seating.
Although all the evening activities of FSCI are optional, we think you're going to want to join most of them. But if you're determined to explore Los Angeles during the FSCI week, the best night to pull this off is Wednesday evening, which we've purposefully left unscheduled to allow some time to explore and unwind.
The most popular Los Angeles museums, culture, and entertainment options are gathered on this page: U-SEE-LA Without a Car - which also provides a quick link to public trsportation travel estimates for each destination. What they say about LA traffic is all very true. Keep travel times in mind when you are choosing what to do!
Probably the best and most affordable option is to catch sunset over the Pacific (sunset will be around 7:45PM local time during FSCI). The closest beach is Santa Monica, featuring the iconic Santa Monica Pier. It is 5 miles away, but easily reachable by catching the Santa Monica Blue Bus #2 ($1.25 each way). You can also reach Santa Monica and the Venice Beach Boardwalk on the Santa Monica Blue Bus #1, although this will take longer.