This working group focuses on attribution implementation for research products (including publications, datasets, data standards, research resources, etc.). We recognize that contributor roles can extend beyond those asserted for authorship and while related, are also distinct. We seek to discuss and define methods to recognize all those who contribute to a project, publication, or other research object, whether or not they are formally listed as authors or named in acknowledgements. Ongoing work can be found at the Architecting Attribution GitHub.
Please join us! This work will be stronger with participation from members from many different communities.
This work is supported by the NIH National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, Grant Number U24TR002306, for the CTSA Program National Center for Data to Health (CD2H).
Timeline & Deliverables
The main goals are:
- Collate and review existing efforts on scholarly contribution; complete landscape review to compare and contrast the key types of contributions across the different taxonomies/systems
- Contribute to the scholarly discussion on relevant topics, including an in-progress manuscript on authorship.
- Attempt to develop an approach to support computable credit and pilot test the consensus implementation.
- Develop technical recommendations for publishers, IRs, research profiling systems to implement.
- Develop social recommendations to support attribution workflows by individuals and organizations.
There are a number of prior efforts on identifying contributors and their roles that have varying degrees of scope, technical implementation, and documentation, such as: Project CRedIT, PROV, the Becker Model, Transitive Credit, and the Scholarly Contributions and Roles Ontology.
How to Join
- Instructions for joining working group: Sign into Force11 https://www.force11.org/user/register
- After Signing in, subscribe to the group here (right column on page): www.force11.org/group/attributionwg You will automatically be added to the group mailing list and group folder.
Files & Links
- Architecting Attribution project (CD2H)
- Contributor Role Ontology (CRO) project and blog post
- Attribution WG Google Drive folder
- CRediT Taxonomy
Mailing List (Members only): email@example.com